Binge Drinking and Alcohol Poisoning

Rapid binge drinking (which often happens on a bet or a dare) is especially dangerous because the victim can ingest a fatal dose before becoming unconscious.

Teenagers, especially first-time drinkers, are especially vulnerable. Friends or parents of these intoxicated youth put them to bed expecting them to just “sleep it off” only to find them dead in the morning

The following may indicate someone is in serious trouble with alcohol poisoning:

  •  Mental confusion, stupor, coma, unable to rouse the person
  •  No response to pinching the skin
  •  Vomiting while sleeping or unresponsive
  •  Seizures
  •  Slowed breathing (fewer than 8 breaths per minute)
  •  Irregular breathing (10 seconds or more between breaths)
  •  Hypothermia (low body temperature), bluish skin color, paleness

Alcohol Poisoning Requires Immediate Medical Attention

Drinking black coffee, taking a cold bath or shower, or sleeping or walking it off cannot reverse alcohol poisoning. The victim must have immediate medical attention. Call 911, stay with the victim to prevent him choking on vomit, and tell emergency personnel how much alcohol the victim drank.

Return to the Safety Resource Center