Fire Safety Tips: Avoiding Fire Hazards Associated with Mattresses and Bedding
Smoldering fires in mattresses caused by cigarettes and bedding materials are a major cause of deaths
in residential fires.
Fire Safety Status Check
- To be safe, you should be able to answer yes to the following statements.
- No smoking in bed is a rule that is practiced in my home.
- Heaters, ash trays, smoking materials and other fire sources are located away from bedding.
- Do not smoke in bed. Smoking in bed is a major cause of accidental fire deaths in the home.
- Locate heaters or other fire sources three feet from the bed to prevent the bed from catching on fire.
- Consider replacing your old mattress with a new one if you are a smoker. Mattresses manufactured since 1973 are required to resist cigarette ignition.