If you are babysitting, before the children's parents leave, you need to make sure you have the following information written down and kept by the phone:
- The phone number to the poison control center, which is 1-800-222-1222.
- The phone numbers of the Police, Fire Department, closest hospital emergency department, ambulance or taxi service, parents’ cell phone numbers or the number to the location where they will be. You also need to know if you can use 911 in an emergency.
- The age and weight of each child. This will be important information for emergency personnel if a poisoning does occur.
- The phone number and address of the location where you are at.
- Location of fire extinguishers and syrup of ipecac.
- Any special instructions, such as bedtimes or medications for a child.