Pedestrian Friendly Neighborhoods
Take a walk in your neighborhood with your child. Look at the conditions along the way. You may want to score your area using the “Walkability Checklist” below.
- Are there places for people to walk (or children to bicycle) off the street?
- Are there places to cross streets easily and safely?
- Are there crossing guards near schools?
- Are the drivers courteous? Do they obey speed limits?
- Was your walk pleasant? Would you do it again?
Check below any problems you find:
- Traffic speeds are too high.
- No sidewalks or wide shoulders for walking.
- Roadside obstructions make walking difficult (parked cars, trash bins, overgrown bushes, ditches).
- No crosswalks or traffic signals where we want to cross busy streets.
- Drivers do not stop for pedestrians.
- No place for children to play.
- Playgrounds, library, and schools are too far away.