You would probably be surprised to learn how many substances you have around your home that could be poisonous if ingested or inhaled or exposed to the skin and mucous membranes. It’s not just the cans of gasoline or paint-thinner you might have in your garage but could be a tube of special ointment, a bottle of Tylenol, or the glue you used to create decorations for your child’s school play. Learning to spot these potential poisons and understanding how quickly poisoning can occur will help you to control your home environment more safely.
Some common household substances that must be considered hazardous and potentially poisonous include the items listed below.

  • Charcoal lighter
  • Paint thinner and remover
  • Antifreeze and turpentine
  • Medicines (especially iron pills and food supplements containing iron)
  • Insect sprays
  • Kerosene
  • Lighter fluid
  • Some furniture polishes
  • Paints and paint solvents
  • Products containing lye and acids
  • Cleaning fluids, detergents, lye, soap powders
  • Cosmetics
  • Deodorants and antiperspirants
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Medicated skin creams
  • Tobacco products
  • Lubricants, such as WD-40 and motor oils
  • Gasoline