Common Household Items that are Harmful to Animals

There are many common products in the home that are poisonous to pets. Some examples include:

  • Most human medications, including Tylenol, ibuprofen and insulin

  • A variety of types of acids and alkalis are found in auto batteries and small batteries, cleaning products, polishes, bleach, floor wax, disinfectants and even dishwasher soap

  • Glue

  • Antifreeze has a very pleasant taste, so is often consumed by pets, but even a teaspoon can be fatal. Antifreeze that contains propylene glycol is safer for animals if ingested in small amounts

  • Cedar, pine and other soft wood shavings

  • De-icing salts used to melt snow can get on the animal’s feet and then be ingested when he licks his paws. It is important to wash your pet’s feet after coming inside from the snow.

  • Arsenic found in water or plants that have herbicides or pesticides

  • Fumes from non-stick cooking surfaces and self-cleaning ovens and pump/aerosol sprays can be toxic for animals, especially birds

  • Flea-control products if not used properly

  • Mothballs

  • Cosmetics, anti-dandruff shampoos, or creams in tubes if the animal chews through the tube

  • Zinc oxide

  • Art and photo supplies

  • Spoiled garbage

  • Lead-containing paint, plaster, caulking, linoleum and certain glazes on dishes, solder and golf balls

  • Plant food

  • Petroleum products, such as gasoline, kerosene, paint thinner, lighter fluid mineral spirits and lubricants (WD-40).

  • Rat poison, slug and snail bait, and insecticides

  • Syrup of ipecac (safe for humans, but toxic for pets).

  • Many lawn products, such as fertilizers with chemicals and pesticides

Return to the Safety Resource Center