What Do I Do If I Suspect Poisoning?

Prevention is always the best treatment, but if you have any suspicions that a child in your care has been poisoned, call 911 immediately. Some children may not show symptoms of poisoning right away, but may have ingested a potentially fatal substance. So, waiting to see if the child appears to be O.K. could be a dangerous mistake.

Another important number to know is the poison control center -- 1-800-222-1222. It is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 

Follow the guidelines listed below.

  • Keep calm. 

  • If you think a child you are babysitting for has been poisoned never wait until you see symptoms, call for help right away! 

  • Call 911 if the victim is unconscious or is having convulsions or difficulty breathing. 

  • Don’t administer any type of medication, unless advised by the 911 operator or the poison control center. Many of the recommended treatments for poisonings on product labels may be outdated or incorrect. Using home remedies like salt water or mustard and water are usually ineffective and may be dangerous. DON'T USE HOME REMEDIES. 

As soon as you are able to, you need to call the child's parents and tell them about the situation.

Return to the Safety Resource Center