I'm Not Sure Whether or Not a Product is Harmful if Ingested

It’s not uncommon for a parent to walk into a room and observe a child with an open container of something the child shouldn’t have. If there are no visible signs that the substance has been swallowed or rubbed into the skin or eyes, use the steps below to be safe.

  • Read the label on the substance in question. There should be information regarding the toxicity of the product and information specific to the potential response in a child. There should also be instructions on what to do if the product is ingested, inhaled or absorbed through the skin or eyes. Keep the label with you in case you need to contact 911.
  • Follow the instructions from the 911 personnel.
  • Remain calm. Not all medicines and household chemicals are poisonous and not all exposures necessarily result in poisoning. 

Return to the Safety Resource Center