Staying Safe - Driving in Town
- Avoid driving at night, at peak traffic times and in bad weather
- In congested traffic, keep your windows up and doors locked.
- Avoid late night trips, especially to unfamiliar areas.
- Be aware of the dangers of putting your purse on the passenger seat, near an open window.
- Always park in a well-lit, well-used area and lock all doors, even if you intent to return quickly. In a commercial lot, give the attendant only your ignition key.
- Never leave packages or valuables in view. If you must leave them, lock them in the trunk - and be sure you remove your keys from the lock.
- When returning to your car, have your keys in your hand, ready to unlock the door. Check areas around your car as you approach. If someone is lurking, go back into the store and ask Security to accompany you. Check the back seat before entering the vehicle.
Return to the Safety Resource Center