Laws Regarding School Buses and Bus Stops
Laws You Need to Follow Regarding School Buses and Bus Stops
Learn and follow the school bus laws for motorists in your state. Laws exist to protect children getting on and off the bus and to protect you from a tragedy. Check with your school transportation office or police department for more information on your community. Here are some standard rules:
- Motorists coming to a school bus from either direction must stop when the bus displays flashing red warning lights and extends the stop signal arm. These signals show that children are getting on or off the school bus.
- Vehicles may not pass until the flashing red lights and signals are turned off.
- Drivers traveling in the same direction as the bus are always required to stop.
- In some states, drivers moving in the opposite direction on a divided roadway are also required to stop. Check the law in your community.
- Never pass on the right side of the bus, where children enter or exit. This is illegal and can have tragic results.
- Violation of these laws can result in a citation and fine. In many places, school bus drivers can report passing vehicles!