Avoid Becoming a "Fall Statistic"
Begin a regular exercise program. Lack of exercise leads to muscle weakness and a lack of balance. These can increase the chance of falling. Exercises that improve balance and coordination, like Tai Chi, are the most helpful.
Make your home safer.
- Keep walkways, bedsides and stairs clear of things you could trip over (papers, books, clothes, shoes, etc.).
- Remove or tape down small throw rugs.
- Keep often-used items in cabinets you can easily reach without a step stool.
- Install grab bars in the bathtub, shower, and beside the toilet.
- Use abrasive strips or non-slip bath mats in your bathtub and shower.
- Increase the lighting in your home. Use higher watt bulbs where safe or add more lamps.
- Install handrails along both sides of all stairways.
- Wear shoes that have good support and have thin, non-slip soles. Avoid slippers without soles or thick, rubber-soled athletic shoes.