Whether your holiday travel takes you across the neighborhood to visit friends, across town to a holiday gathering, or across the country to visit family, there are safety precautions you should take to ensure your home and family are safe during this busy season. Below you will find some general tips for traveling during the holiday season.
- Avoid driving in snowy or icy weather. If you must drive in inclement weather, drive slowly. Remember, it takes longer to stop on wet or icy roads.
- Make sure you unplug the tree lights and any other lights that might catch fire when you leave the house. Be sure to blow out all candles also.
- Remember that homes you visit may not be child-proofed. Ask to move breakable or dangerous items out of children's reach. Additionally, if there are other items such as safety gates that may further protect your child while you are away from home, be sure to bring those items with you.
- When visiting friends or relatives who have a pet, make sure your child is supervised when he or she is near the animal.
- Never drink and drive, or get into a vehicle driven by someone who has been drinking or is otherwise impaired.