Protecting Yourself From Natural Gas

Natural gas is an important energy source for Oklahoma. We use it to heat our homes, cook, light our yards, and power our vehicles. But it also has a dangerous side that everyone needs to be aware of. 

Natural gas in its original form is odorless and colorless. However, mercaptan, a skunk-like odor that smell something like rotten eggs or sulfur is added to the gas to it can be detected. Anyone who has ever smelled the foul odor of the mercaptan will not soon forget it!

If you ever feel you have detected a natural gas leak, you need to evacuate the area immediately and notify your local fire and police departments. In Oklahoma, you should also notify Oklahoma Natural Gas. Do not return to the area until it has been cleared by officials.

Return to the Safety Resource Center