Handling Fire Works Safely
The Fourth of July is marked each year with brilliant displays of fireworks. Yet those same fireworks send hundreds of people to the emergency room each year because they are mishandled. The following may help you in staying safe this Fourth of July.
If fireworks are legal, a few simple tips will help you enjoy them safely:
- Observe local laws regarding the purchase and use of fireworks. Buy only legal fireworks and light them only where they are permitted.
- Use fireworks only with adult supervision.
- Use fireworks only in wide-open areas.
- Keep a bucket of water handy.
- Keep spectators at least 50 feet away.
- Wear safety goggles when lighting fireworks.
- Follow the instructions printed on each item.
- Light only one item at a time, using a long-handled butane lighter or a jumbo punk.
- Keep your body back and reach out to light the fuse.
- Don't try to re-light a dud.
- Ask everyone to drop spent sparklers in the bucket of water.
- Clean up the area after the show.