Controlling Pests in Your Garden
Whether you choose to use chemical or natural products as part of your pest control program for your garden, you need to take similar care to protect yourself from skin and lung irritation. Many natural products in concentrated form can cause problems. Even compost contains organisms that can be hazardous to health.
The best advice you can follow is to Read the label. Pay particular attention to information concerning skin absorption, eye damage, and respiratory precautions.
- Use chemical-resistant gloves (e.g., nitrile) to mix solutions and to apply garden products.
- Wear a hat, long-sleeved shirt, long pants, waterproof shoes or boots.
- Wear a mask and protective eyewear, especially when applying sprays or dusty products such as lime or granular fertilizers.
- Pay attention to shifting winds.
- Wash your hands after using any product, and ideally take a shower.