Safety Checklist: In the Bathroom
Follow the safety checklist below to prevent children from getting hurt or injured in your bathroom.
- Lock all medicines and vitamins away to prevent poisoning, even those with child resistant packaging.
- Have syrup of ipecac on hand, but use only at the recommendation of a poison control center or physician.
- Never leave a young child alone in the bathroom, especially in a bath. Also be careful with any source of standing water, such as toilets, large mop buckets, and pools.
- Before bathing a child, always test bath water with your wrist or elbow to make sure it’s not too hot.
- To prevent scalds, set the water heater thermostat to 120 degrees F and install anti-scald devices.
- Make sure bathtubs and showers have non-slip surfaces and grab bars.
- Keep electrical appliances, like hair dryers and curling irons, out of the reach of children and away from water.